There are many reasons why a hotspot is not being witnessed. We shall detail a few below;
- Your hotspot is not synced to the latest block on the blockchain. Your hotspot will only beacon once it has synced with the blockchain.
- Your hotspot has not sent a beacon recently. The frequency of beacons being transmitted is random. Therefore, there could be periods when your hotspot does not beacon, meaning you will not have witnesses during this time.
- Suppose your hotspot has sent a beacon, and you have no witnesses. In that case, you may not have any neighbouring hotspots that are close enough to “hear” your beacon, or there may be an obstruction between your hotspot and another blocking the beacon radio signal. Try increasing the elevation of your antenna. If your antenna is inside, try to have one installed outside. Some types of windows have a coating that can have a detrimental effect on radio signals
- Witness lists are based on a rolling 5-day period of successful Proof-of-Coverage witness receipts. The list also resets if a Hotspot updates location, changes antenna, or elevation.
- There may be a fault with your antenna or cabling connection. Please check that all connectors are screwed on securely and that any connection points are correctly “sexed.”
- If your hotspot is relayed, this can have an impact upon witnesses.